Friday, January 27, 2012

Squeeze Hard Enough, Your Brain Pops Out

The changes came rapidly and all at the same time. My mother-in-law needed to go buy groceries, but as soon as they arrived at the store, my father-in-law said he didn't feel well and needed to go home. He said he would be OK for awhile, and she went back to the store.

She came back to find the house empty, my father-in-law gone.

She went next door to see if he was there, and found out he had gotten disoriented and gone to look for her. A neighbor on the far end of the block saw him and realized he wasn't OK. My father-in-law couldn't tell him his name, where he lived, or what was wrong.

Thinking he's had a stroke, the neighbor called 911 and he was transported to the hospital.

Meanwhile, frightened and alone, he became increasingly agitated and a security guard was called to stay with him.

Ever the romantic, he calmed down the minute he heard my mother-in-law's voice.

Her world in changed. He cannot be left alone anymore.

I wanted to support her, but what words are sufficient on the day you finally have to see the truth?

Meanwhile, my mother's blood levels were obviously low. Her conversation would loop, and she would fixate on things. She was frustrated that I would not help her, not understanding that the credit union was not open on Sunday, and I didn't know when her transfusion would be and she would feel better.

I tried to reassure her, but she couldn't think clearly to understand.

Meanwhile, my son had bronchitis and couldn't breathe. He had missed an entire week of school--the first time he'd ever missed that much school--and was depressed when he realized the extent of the work he had to make up. He was angry, overwhelmed, and vocal.

I agreed it was a tough break, but the work still needed to be done.

Three unhappy people, all needing things I could not give. I wish I had an answer for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment