Thursday, January 12, 2012

What's in a Name?

Being new to blogging, I had no idea how you're really supposed to name your blog, so I just picked something. I should have read the book first. Turns out there are rules. I broke them all. But at least I didn't go with my first idea which went down in flames.

I thought about naming my blog "Reflections of an Ordinary Housewife." My husband helpfully pointed out that I am not a housewife, and even if I was, I wouldn't be, because that job is obsolete. The best I could hope for would be "ordinary homemaker," and that doesn't have quite the same ring.

Which led to the question of "ordinary." How do you quantify ordinary? I see myself as the epitome of ordinary. I exaggerate all the time, but that's actually true, so imagine my surprise to discover you can't be the epitome of ordinary without disqualifying yourself from the honor. Seems some people think that means you are extra ordinary, which is not the same thing at all.

Then came the issue of reflection. Who knew that word came with so many job requirements? You have to have quiet moments in which to reflect. You need to be still. You need to have a shiny surface.

It's a lot easier to be a jamwich.

1 comment:

  1. You are anything but ordinary, Leah! Extraordinary is more like it!

    You want your author name to be in your header/banner. Your name is your brand, and you want it to come up in the search engines when someone types your name in. You also want people to recognize your name if they see a book authored by you online or in a store. So my suggestion is to add "Leah Leonard" in front of "Jamwich on Wry." I can't tell you how many blogs I've visited and couldn't find the person's name without searching all over, and who has time for that? So from all that I've learned so far (and I still have so much to learn), your header should say: Leah Leonard: Jamwich on Wry."

    And you can change "Jamwich on Wry" later or whenever if you decide you like something else.

    If you're using a pen name instead of Leah Leonard, then put your pen name in the header and that will be your brand.

    Looks like you're off to a great start with your blogging! WTG, Leah!

    ReplyDelete